The holiday season is officially here! This means lots of decorations, lights, holiday cheer, and of course, candles. However, while natural candle light can be beautiful, it can also be very dangerous. Homeowners need to be aware of this fact to keep their home safe during the holidays.
Here are some alarming facts regarding candles and fires:
- There are over 40 candle fires reported daily
- Over 50 percent of these fires are caused when the lit candle comes into contact with another item in the home, such as furniture or curtains
- Approximately 20 percent of these fires are caused by unattended candles
- In over 35 percent of reported deaths and 12 percent of the fires, the homeowner has fallen asleep with a lit candle
- Approximately 13 percent of fires related to decorations occur in December, more than three times the average throughout the rest of the year
- Approximately one-third of home fires related to candles begin in the bedroom
- Elderly and children have the largest risk factors relating to candle deaths
These facts are rather disturbing considering how casual most homeowners are about candle usage during the holidays. To avoid becoming a part of these statistics, try and follow these candle safety tips during the holidays:
- Make sure all candles are used only when someone is in attendance and they are placed in sturdy candle holders
- Avoid using lit candles when possible. Substitute battery operated candles instead.
- Do not allow children to use candles under any circumstances
- Avoid placing candles in high traffic areas, especially areas where children and pets run freely
- Make sure all candles are extinguished after being used
- Never leave a candle unattended for ANY reason
Follow these tips and remember these disturbing, but eye-opening statistics and you can keep your family and home safe this holiday season.